Friday, February 24, 2006

Is It Armageddon For Customer Service?

First, let me assure you that I AM NOT A SENIOR CITIZEN! Let me repeat that to be sure we're all on the same page. I AM NOT A SENIOR CITIZEN! Not that there's anything wrong with that. Obviously, "Senior Journal.com" is a fine on-line publication. The first time I ever visited their site, I found an article that is worth sharing. But, I'm not a subscriber because I AM NOT A SENIOR CITIZEN.

Please don't think I'm putting seniors down, or that I'm vain or something. It's just that my wife is very touchy about her age, and if someone thinks I'm a senior citizen, then by association that makes her one too.

Now that that's out of the way, here's an interesting article on customer service, or the lack thereof, at a national retail chain. It should be a lesson to all of us who serve any kind of customer, which is every one of us. When procedures are so etched in stone that there can be no variation, then customer service suffers.

As the author says, if there can be no variation from procedures, then there is no need for managers. A minimum wage part-time employee with a copy of the policy manual can run the entire operation. Enjoy the article.
Categories: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home