Monday, February 20, 2006

Free Agent Nation

Something that has been occupying my time is Daniel Pink's excellent book, Free Agent Nation. Dan is a former speech writer for Al Gore (but don't hold that against him). He spent a year traveling the country talking to people who have gone out on their own, to become independent workers, what he calls "free agents."

The book is a good read and it's quite interesting if you're an entrepreneur, or if you would like to be. I think you'll also find it interesting if you're a "traditional" business person. The trends that Dan discusses, for instance in taxation and education, should be of interest to everyone.

Dan has another new book called A Whole New Mind, which also looks interesting. It's next on my reading list. Thanks to Steve at Creative Generalist for pointing it out.

A side note, I ordered Free Agent Nation as an e-book from Amazon.com. This was my first experience with the format, and I have to say it has its advantages. I downloaded to book to my PDA so it was never out of reach. Whenever I had a few minutes, I would pull it out and read a few paragraphs.

The downside? You can't highlight or make notes in the margins. There were many times when I wished I had a hard copy.

Categories: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home